Monday, October 15, 2012

Do it again David Ring

Sometimes death comes slowly and you have time to watch it take someone as they slowly slip away. Other times it slaps you hard in the face and kicks you in the stomach. On Sunday, beautiful day that the Lord had made, the Grim Reaper unexpectedly grabbed the throat of an entire island when he took David Ring.

David was larger than life.

Incredibly funny, it seemed as though he'd done everything. "I've got a 21 year old brain in an old man's body," he told me not too long ago.

It's true! He never lost celebrating life even when his body refused to cooperate with his wishes.

"My wife told me to come out from under that bed and fight like a man ," he said one morning at The Breakfast Club.

David brought laughter wherever he went.

Lord the stories that are being remembered!

One year Jennie Orr sponsored a Best Buns on the Beach competition to raise money for diabetes, which David had. So Johnny O, David and I were all corraled to partcipate. Johnny stood there stupidly in his underwear. I ripped off my robe displaying a bikini bathing suit. David stripped down to a pair of lady's leopord thongs. Jumping on a pinic table on the pier he danced and gyrated while people threw money at him for the cause.

Then a testical popped out.

David continued to dance so his wife Diane ran up and poked it back in.

"Did you see that," Johnny O asked.

"Yep. What do you say?"

David shattered the record for raising money for diatetes.

There are countless stories.

"I'll tell you something Micheal," he said a couple of weeks ago. "I've done everything I've ever wanted to do. I loved doing every bit but I have one regret."

"What's that?" I asked.

Cocking his head to one side while raising an eyebrow and flashing a half smile he explained, "I just wish I could do it all again."

Me too David.

I wish you could too.

No comments:

Post a Comment