Monday, December 24, 2012

An Unexpected Christmas Jounney

Three years ago today I was happily married to an unhappy woman who already knew she was leaving after the New Year but was keeping it to herself through the Holidays. We were in St. Martin and I was full of joy, cheer and plans for the future. It had been a difficult few years at work and it had taken its toil but I was rebounding and excited about what was coming.

Two years ago I was back in St. Martin ... alone. Fulfilling a promise to herself she had left sending me into a baptism of loneliness, depression and self-pity. As Christmas approached I went back to the place I love because I refuse to let her take that away from me too. Fortunately I was blessed with good friends who made sure I had company and I smiled that day.

Last year I remained home on Tybee Island for Christmas for the first time in years. A Carnival of friends held me close and also for the first time in a decade I watched children wake to open presents and spread Christmas cheer as only kids can do. I was becoming part of a couple.

Today I'm happily married to a happy woman. We're in Key West on a beautiful Christmas Eve though tonight will reunite with the Carnival of friends on Tybee. Tomorrow I'll again watch children open presents under our tree. My children will all dart in and out over the next several days. We'll be home.

It's a long way to come in a short period of time. So much is between the lines that it would take forever to understand just how treacherous the journey was. A lot of things could have happened so that the ending wasn't so happy. Guardian Angels, good Karma, God's love or good luck ... maybe all of them ... got me here today.

There is joy this Christmas and while there may not be peace on earth there is peace in my heart. I'm no longer who I was, unexpected journeys will do that to you, but have a contentment that is hard to describe. I don't know what the future holds but it doesn't frighten me. I am surrounded by love.

So as I kiss the hand beside me, I'm thankful this Christmas. I hope you are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment