Sunday, March 24, 2013

It takes so long my Lord

"I really want to see you Lord but it takes so long my Lord ..."

So lamented the major prophet George Harrison and I think he hit it squarely on the head for most of us.

Regardless of if you're Christian or not, a church goer or not, even if you're a believer or not ... when it comes down to it, the thing we want the most seems furthest out of reach. What we want of course is God.

What we get is religion.

No matter how fervent our faith, regardless of the depths of our devotion, the passion of our prayers or the consistency of our commitment ... each and every one of reaches a point where it takes so long my Lord.

Some of us just keep plowing right through, too damn stubborn to do it any other way. Worship, theology and dogma have been passed down all of these generations so it must be right. It was good enough for Mama so it's good enough for me. So we sit in the pew, waiting still while the preacher promises God's just around the corner.

Others say to hell with it! I did my part but God never came around. It's not like I didn't try either! After exploring the shallowness of the Christian church I moved on to Political Radicalism, Buddhism and finally Spirituality. You know what? It still takes so long my Lord.

In the end we either sit and wait or move on. When push comes to shove though ... life falls apart, loved ones die, divorce happens, betrayals hit our faces, there are wars and rumors of wars ... in spite of these things and regardless of our beliefs or non-beliefs ... I really want to see you Lord.

It is a wet Sunday morning. Severe storms warning drown out the prophets and the preachers. The sun is risen but darkness clouds the day. Plans for a happy celebration are dampened before they can begin.

Yet ... a lone bird is singing to the top of her tiny lungs this morning and I find myself listening. Her song is committed and consistent yet it knows no religion. She simply sings.

And I believe, sitting her alone and far from the places of worship, that it doesn't take so long after all.

1 comment:

  1. In midst of storms in life and of the world, if we but listen and be still we will hear that small voice just as the bird you described. We then know we aren't alone God is with us.
    Loved your post

    ReplyDelete