Monday, July 22, 2013

My Angel

The full moon shines brightly through the windows as I lay in bed tossing and turning. Sarah's sleeping hard beside me and the dogs are too on the floor beside us.

"Aw hell," I mutter as I got up not wanting to disrupt their sleep and I tip toe into the kitchen for a glass of water.

My peripheral vision sees something move on the Beloved Back deck and I turn to see drinking the water and standing naked in the moonlight.

It was my Guardian Angel, sitting at the table smoking a cigarette, drinking a tall PBR as a halo of smoke circled her head. Her large brown eyes are set on me so I quietly opened the sliding glass doors and walk outside.

"You look better than last time I saw you," I say.

"For Christ sake! Aren't you going to put something on," she spits before hacking up a loogie and sending it flying the back yard.

"Oh, it's not like haven't seen before," I shrug. "You're my Guardian Angel" and I take the seat across from her.

She does look better. Her long black hair has little wave to it now. Her skin had some color and her eyes aren't as bloodshot. Her blue and white robe is clean though the one wing remains broken. Taking a long drag of the cigarette, then a longer gulp from the beer, she sighs loudly.

"What's up buttercup?" I ask.

"Oh shut the fuck up," she snaps. "I'm here on assignment."

"Wha?" I ask. "I haven't done anything lately."

"I get no time off for your good behavior," she shoots back.

"Well what do you want?" I ask yawning and scratching myself.

Throwing away the PBR another magically appears in her hand and she takes another swig before answering.

"Well, it seems like the Boss thinks you're doing some good stuff these days and told me to tell you to stop worrying. Everything's gonna be alright," as I notice every time she takes a drag from her cigarette it doesn't get any shorter.

"Humph," I exclaim.

"Listen!" she snaps jabbing the lit cigarette at me, "this is directly from the Boss. Show some damn respect!"

"It's hard not to worry sometimes," I say softly.

"Tell me about it," she sighs. "They're talking about giving me another assignment or two. Shit! You're a full time job!"

Nodding my head in agreement, I can't think of anything to say.

"Go back to bed," she commands as she stands up. The bright moonlight shines brightly behind illuminating her.

"Hey! You're not wearing any underwear!"

"What am I going to do with you?" she sighs. "Go to bed dammit."

Turning I stumble to our bedroom, crawl in bed and snuggle with Sarah.

An hour later I wake, startled at the memory and pull myself out of bed again. Walking to the Beloved Back, there is no one on it and I laugh for a second, until I see smashed out cigarettes and crushed PBR cans on the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment