Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Mortality

"God has put within our lives meanings and possibilities that quite outrun the limits of mortality," said Harry Emerson Fosdick ... a great man and one hell of a preacher!

I believe that.

Life runs out before we do.

Then everything gets really interesting!

Lots of people think once we die ... that's it.

I'm not one of them.

"We disappoint, we disappear, we die but we don't" is the way the great American songwriter Stephen Sonheim sums it up.

The fact is, we linger.

For the second time in my life, I'm blessed to live with three little ones. This time they're all girls. Before I could only handle two out of three being girls. That almost killed me. I think I'm better prepared this time.

Every morning, they get up, sleep walk into the kitchen, explode into sudden states of consciousness over breakfast, then take off like a rocket into the day.

They dart, speak without ceasing, plan, scheme, primp, text, talk on the phone and eat in one blur of motion that leaves me feeling I've been struck by lightening. And they don't stop until they collapse at the end of the day ... or ... when Sarah finally pins them down long enough and they fall asleep.

In the most literal sense, they are full of life!

They're rarely sad. When they get in trouble, it's only for a second and before Sarah finishes explaining why they did something wrong they've already moved on to enjoying the next moment.

I think that's what the afterlife is like.

We finally get to really live it up!

Without a body to hold us back, we go everywhere at once.

Four years ago, we watched as my Dad left his body. He used it to say bye to everyone then he took off and never looked back.

The funny thing is, I'm as close to him now as I ever was when he was literally here.

My sister Angi sits with him to watch UGA games and gives him a beer. He looks over me as I cook reminding me of each of his recipes which I'm determined to perfect and pass on to my son Jeremy. My brother David wears his watch to keep him on time. Unlike before, Dad seems to be everywhere at once.

"My hair is brown and yours is grey," Cass, the six year old, tells me.

"It is not," I shoot back, offended that I'm older than I care to be.

But, it is what it is.

I don't know how much life I've got left but the plan is to use it like the girls do.

Then when that parts over ... to do it like Dad's doing it and be everywhere at once.

That's my mortality ... and my immortality.

I feel pretty good about it!

You?

__________________________________

Embracing peace in your life! “You are one of the most tormented people I know,” she said. I was at the height of success, living at the beach, working in a beautiful city, having everything I thought I wanted…but she was right. I was miserable and didn’t know why. Then I decided to take a journey inside of myself. Life is too short and I deserved to happily celebrate my life. As much as I wanted to lay the blame at the feet of others, it was my own fault and I needed to know why I prevented myself from enjoying my life. I needed to find peace. And I did. You can find yours.

Sign up now at  http://www.meellc.com/wordpress/indepthclasses/

No comments:

Post a Comment