Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Typical Night in a Tourist Town Bar

"Please close me out," he slurs towards the bartender.

I wait to order while he waits on her to give him change.

"I'm gonna go play cards," he says to me. "You want to go?"

"No thanks," I reply, "I'm playing guitar with my friends right now."

Peering over  my shoulder towards the collection of players in the back room he nods, "Oh is that what y'all are doing back there?"

"We sound pretty good tonight. Don't 'cha think?"

Shrugging his shoulders he collects his change and throws a dollar on the bar.

I order.

"The card game will probably only take ten minutes or so," he says looking at me again.

I nod as she hands me a glass.

"They got 'to-go' cups," he explains standing and for the first time I notice he's soaking wet.

It'd been raining so I guess he had enough sense to come inside but now he's roaring to go ... with me.

"I'm Micheal," I say thrusting out my hand.

"Oh hey Micheal," he replies as we shake without him telling me who he is.

The sounds of Chip and Chris playing wonderful lead solos wafts from the back room laying on top of Monty's finger picking, Matt and Greg's strumming, Jim's mouth harp, a nice bass rift and steady drumming by both Jim and Conga Dave.

"I really need to get back," I say more forcefully.

"You'd have a good time," he shrugs.

"I'm already having a good time," I explain.

"Your choice," he says stumbling out the door.

The bartender looks at me and laughs.

"Typical night in a tourist town bar," she giggles.

Laughing I make my way to the back room where the Dirty Angels collect for a little while and ... the Kingdom comes on earth as it is Heaven.


No comments:

Post a Comment