Saturday, July 16, 2016

Chasing the Garden of Eden

"You still trying to find the perfect place?" he laughs while breathing deeply into his Nebulizer.

"Isn't that the goal?" I reply.

"Hell son," he laughs, "perfection is wherever we make it.

"Is it now?"

He laughs and nods while sucking the white smoke in and out.

"Hell no!" he coughs, "I'm in this God damned place, sucking on this machine, coping feels from nurses, wondering how much time I got left."

"Which Nurses?"

He laughs sending him into another fit of coughing.

"Your problem," he continues after several deep drags from the machine, "is you live in the freaking Garden of Eden and you vacation in another Garden of Eden."

"What is your point?" I ask.

Coughing out laugher behind a layer of Holy Smoke he shakes his head and says, "You're incorrigible ... and you're selfish too."

"Selfish?"

"Yeah selfish! And you've put on weight."

"Don't go changing subject," I chide.

He laughs continuing to suck from the machine before continuing, "It's gonna cause you heart and back problems."

"Going to the Garden of Eden?"

One hand emerges from the Holy Smoke giving me the finger like Moses parting the Red Sea.

"Okay so I live on an island," I explain, "and love other islands, believing that God got it right the first time with tiny islands and should have stopped then before going on and making continents. So what if I live in the Garden of Eden ... why would I choose to vacation at some lesser place than another Garden?"

"Aren't you bored watching me do a breathing treatment?" he asks as the Holy Smoke dissipates.

"Not really," I grin.

"Oh," he sighs.

"Well you brought my vacation choice up," I reply leaning forward, "not me."

A knock on the door interrupts the conversation and a Nurse smiles as she walks in.

"You can go now," he smiles at me.

"Jesus," I laugh standing up.

"Exactly," he grins as the Nurse touches his arm, "you work for him ... not me. Why don't you go do something useful for your company, which is screwed up by the way, I'm not even sure Jesus himself could fix it."

"Next time," I grin giving him a hug.

"Later," he says. "Get out."

No comments:

Post a Comment