Saturday, October 29, 2016

All the Difference in the World

"Beautiful Baby!" she exclaims passing me exiting the elevator as she stumbles inside.

"Dumbass," I think.

I'm carrying an empty car seat in one hand and a dozen roses in the other.

Quickly stopping to turn, I catch a glance ... askew gray and frosted hair rests on top of a sad white face, adorning a frumpy body dressed in black with pale white feet in sandals and bright red toenails.

Clutching her purse and a St. Joseph/Candler bag, she stares at my empty car seat smiles.

The silver elevator doors slide shut.

Sometimes when you're busy with your own life, the life of someone else collides with yours ... even if it's a glancing blow.

Was she sad? ... Tired? ... Both?

What did she see in Che's empty car seat?

Obviously she believed whatever it is she's hoping for was in it ... so much so it moved her to exclaim to a perfect stranger ... "Beautiful ..."

I'm in a hurry and rush to the car. Sarah and our baby girl are being discharged and we're in a hurry to get away from the insurance run mess that is American Health Care and go home.

It's beautiful outside ... cotton candy clouds rolling across a deep blue sky, bright sunshine drips through low humidity as the morning temp pushes 80.

"Sarah's gonna love this," I tell myself  thinking, "and it's perfect for Che's first day in the world."

Rushing back, the silver elevator doors slide open reeking of sadness, Nurses carrying food from the Cafeteria, angry looking Doctors and lost souls carrying McDonald's bags to their loved ones.

The silver doors slide shut as everyone looks at the numbers on the screen as I look at them.

"It's beautiful outside," I say breaking the sadness.

Mumbling indistinguishable  responses, they remain focused on the number on the wall.

Sarah has Che ready for the "Breakout" upon my return and a very pissed off wheelchair driver is in a hurry to get us out.

"Why is it," I ask my wife, "you have to be able to walk to the bathroom and back without assistance before you can be discharged but they wheel you out?"

This infuriates the Wheelchair driver so when Sarah asks to pause and say hello to friends, the angry woman snaps, "It's not allowed!"

"Bitch!" I mouth to Sarah who smiles as she cradles our baby.

As I get the car, our friend Kyle is the first to meet Che from the outside and I return it's a great celebration.

Driving towards the Ocean with Sarah watching Che as only a Mother can, I wonder about the woman and what she saw in the empty car seat.

I wish Che would have been in it.

It would have made all the difference in the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment