Monday, August 28, 2017

Marvelous Distractions

Sarah stares at her computer sitting in the dining room searching for, I have no idea, but she's been intense about it since she got home from taking Maddie and Cass to school.

When she gets like this I've learned it's best to stay the Hell away so I'm in the kitchen staring at my computer, listening to hard rock from the 70s pondering Monday.

Both of us stifle occasional laughs listening to Che falling asleep in her crib giggling, moaning, laughing and singing in syllables.

The dogs give Sarah her space too in the kitchen with me, one sleeping on the rug by the sink and the other on by sliding glass doors.

Reclining on a chair outside on the Beloved Back deck, the cat grooms himself under a canopy of majestic purple clouds.

Lush green trees dance in the winds of a Tropical Storm churning over the Ocean a few blocks from our house.

I know Sarah would prefer me to not have the music playing so I turn off the wireless speaker and stick in ear buds clicking on the diverse collection of songs on my passé IPod.

The IPod's collected dust in the red bowl where I toss things I don't know what to do with ... it's full of Compact Disks, dog leashes, glass cases and notes I've written to myself ... sitting atop the Fridge because it drives Sarah crazy so I try to keep it out of sight.

Karen Carpenter croons "Rainy Days and Monday" in my head and today's certainly that though it doesn't get me down like it does her.

Sarah meanders in wearing cut off blue jeans showing off tan, muscular legs ... a faded white Wonder Woman tee shirt I can see through ... with her long hair in a pony tail ... and her well defined arm reaches for a snack.

Turning she comments on several things in rapid order giving me no real indication of what she's so intensely focusing on but then again I only half way listen enjoying the visual delights in front of me.

Wandering back to the Living Room, I look at the dogs who are looking at me and mouth the word, "DAMN" before returning to the music and computer wondering what I'd been doing.

Palm fronds fall from the trees in the back yard, a burst of sunlight breaks through the clouds, the roar of waves crashing onto the shore grows louder and a "Club Orient sign hanging on the Back Deck flies across the lawn.

There's a lot wrong with the world and not everything is right in our lives as we're struggling as much as anybody else these days but ... it's hard to get down on this rainy Monday when I have such marvelous distractions.

No comments:

Post a Comment