Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Little Things

I am an early riser but 4:00 is a bit too early. But there I lay, wide awake with a thousand thoughts rumbling around inside of my head. Goddess snored as I stared at the numbers projected on the ceiling. I sighed and put my hands behind my head.

I am heading to Chicago today but it was all of these other thoughts that had me awake. I was thinking about people whom I love who are going through difficult times and circumstances; staring a new company which is radically from the work that I’ve been doing my entire career; and, wondering what plan B would be if these new things didn’t work out.

Why do such thoughts only come at night?

Climbing out of bed, I showered, dressed, woke Goddess up to let her out, grabbed my things and took off. Swinging by the Breakfast Club, Jodee was inside working away. He greeted me warmly as I fixed a cup of coffee for the drive to the airport and I was struck by how nice it is to have someone say “Good Morning” and mean it.

Living alone is making me appreciate such things more.

“Chicago, huh?” he asked with a smile. Jodee and Cheryl are both from the Windy City. And I thought how nice it is to have friends who know what’s on your plate.

“Safe Travels,” he yelled as I walked out the door, and I appreciated it deeply. I used to have significant others in my life who did these things and I suppose that I came to take them for granted. These days, I am very mindful and appreciative of what a tremendous difference these little things make.

At 4:35 in the morning I am driving down Tybee Island’s main drag and notice joggers and walkers are already out. So are people sitting on benches, smoking and lost in thought. People of the night.

Through the marsh I drive and it is quiet and holy and I think about the coming day. I will be with people I respect today at a meeting of the International Street Medicine Institute. We have a lot to accomplish in several hours and I will be the one in charge of the meeting so I was trying to organize myself so that I can keep things organized.

Driving through downtown Savannah, I see more people of the night. There are more cars now as people either make their way to or from their work. My work is an idea right now. It is coming together, but as with anything new or that you haven’t done before, it leaves you apprehensive. I’ve never been one to shy away from new or different so I tell myself it will all be alright.

At the airport, we line up to rush onto the plane where we will sit for half-an-hour before we take off. I stare out of the window into the dark sky that is now punctured with the color pink on the horizon. The day comes and the people of the night will be chased away.

As yesterday’s sun sat, I sat on a swing on the beach, staring at the ocean thankful for friends that had been there for me. It is the first time that I’ve sat in a swing this summer. Last year, I did it most every night, leaving Julie home alone. I pondered how this likely contributed to our demise but I was trying to work through so many issues at work and so many people’s problems.

Last night, I was celebrating the little things that had made my day full and enjoyable. It was very different from the last time that I sat there. The difference between last night and last year is that I am embracing the quiet. I am taking stock of the little things that I ignored then. I am listening to the still small voice of holiness and ignoring the distractions and business.

And I am finding that I am better because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment