Sunday, August 14, 2016

What In God's Name has happened to us?

"Micheal Elliott," she writes calling me out, "why do you write this stuff? ...  what has happened in your life to hate the police so badly?"

I don't hate the police.

Privately I write and tell her so, explaining I pray for them and for her too for caring about them so much.

I pray they don't get killed or kill anyone either doing their jobs.

Death comes soon enough and certainly doesn't need our assistance.

I do poke fun at Government ... and the police is part of that ... because politics has become a sanctimonious corruption that treats itself as Holiness in action.

Politics has made us a nation of "US" and "THEMS" ... the good and the bad ... the enlightened and the ignorant ... the rich and the poor ... the living and the dying.

Politics is the largest employer ... producing "Prisons" as its biggest commodity closely followed by Government buildings ... creating rule after rule to take care of us because obviously we're incapable of taking care of ourselves and ... in a brilliant twist of manipulation ... taking care of their own above all else.

On Tybee Island where I live, if the cops pull over a City Councilperson, the outcome is largely different than a Mom rushing her three children to school and slowly rolling through a Stop Sign.

It's now politically incorrect to poke fun at the Government ... the Police ... Firefighters ... Parking Services ... and the Department of Public Works that blocks off two miles of traffic to water plants.

What in God's name has happened to us?

I refuse to become a pawn in Government ideology and the doctrine of political correctness.

So I poke fun at people and institutions who take themselves WAY ... TOO ... SERIOUSLY.

And people get mad!

It's alright ... I've survived lots of anger in my life.

But ... there's something more going on here.

"My soul magnifies the Lord," a knocked up teenager with an illegitimate baby in her belly once said, "and my Spirit rejoices in God my Savior for he has looked down on my humble state."

"He shows strength through his arm," she sings, "and scatters the proud in the thoughts of their hearts."

Not the thoughts in their heads.

The thoughts in their hearts.

Sometimes, the only way to get people to think, is to poke fun when they're thinking without using the tools God gave them to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment